Sunday, January 11, 2015

Easy Cherry Pie

Let's see-I've had this recipe sitting in queue since July and still haven't posted about it. No better time than today right?!

We love taking the kids out to pick fruit in the summer....strawberries, raspberries and cherries. The problem?  You have so much fruit that you don't know what to do with! Yes, my kids eat a ton, but when you pick numerous pounds of stuff, they only last for so long before going bad.  So when we went cherry picking over the summer, I knew I had to figure out something to do with some of it.

I decided to make my first ever cherry pie.  And it turned out pretty darn good! I'm sure I'll be making it again next year when we go cherry picking!

Cherry Pie
 5 cups cherries, pitted
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
pie crusts (either homemade or store bought)

1. Add cherries, sugar, and cornstarch to a pan and stir to combine. 
2. Heat mixture until sauce thickens (I honestly don't remember how long it took since it was 6mos ago!)
3. Pour into pie crusts and bake at 350 until crusts start to brown (again I have no clue how long!).
(Notes: I "cheated" and used store bought crusts. I've never made one from scratch and I think the store bought ones are just as good. The only issue I came across is that my cherry pitter left a ton of seeds in the filling. Luckily just our family ate the pie so it wasn't so bad that we were spitting out pits, but it's not something you want in your pie either!)

No comments: