Friday, April 4, 2014

Potato Corn Chowder

I actually made this soup a few weeks ago, but am finally just getting around to posting it!

I'll confess, soups scare me. The reason? They all have a million ingredients, most of which I don't have in my house. So when I see a list of 20 items and only have 5 of them, I'm not going to spend my money buying the rest. Nor do I really care to take all of the time to chop/dice those 20 said items. I love homemade soup, but most of the time I stay away from those recipes!

I've had this recipe forever. I have no idea where I got it from (I hand wrote it on a small piece of paper) and it's been sitting in my recipe book for years. I kid you not!

But I decided to make it, and it's SO, SO good!

Potato Corn Chowder
 2.5-3lbs yukon gold potatoes
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 lb frozen corn, slightly thawed
1 sweet red pepper, diced
3 cups milk
4 strips bacon-cooked and crumbled
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne

1. Peel and chop potatoes. Put in a saucepan with water and boil about 15min or until fork tender. Drain and mash.
2. Spray saucepan with non-stick spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper. Saute for 5mins.
3. Stir in bacon and milk. Add potatoes and mix. Add seasonings. Cover and simmer for 10min (Do NOT boil!)

Notes: I couldn't find Yukon Golds at my store so I used Russett potatoes instead-still tasted great! For the potato mashing, I used my mixer and mashed them slightly then beat them a little bit-sort of like making mashed potatoes. I'm sure you could leave it chunkier if desired.

This recipe was really good-I'll be making it again for sure! Sorry that I don't have a photo-I forgot to take one!


No comments: