Sunday, June 29, 2014

Frozen Birthday-Party 1

This month is kicking my butt. Literally.

Every day during the week that I've had off has been filled with at least 1-2 commitments. And the weekends have been full of parties, weddings, and birthdays. Seriously my calendar for June is crazy-there isn't an open day on it. Which is why I've been MIA for awhile now.

So now I'm going to try and play catch up with you over the next few posts and show you just what we've been up to around here.

Last weekend was Avery's first (of two) birthday parties. This year we did our usual family party and we decided to add in a friend party for her school friends and some neighbors. So 2 parties it was!

And to show how crazy this day was...her party was at noon and Cassandra had swimming lessons that morning. She won't let Gabe take her so I did. We were gone from 9am-10:15. By the time I got home and showered, it was close to 11:20. Talk about running like a jackass to get everything done-yikes! Luckily I set most of it up Saturday night, but still!

Anyways....Our theme this year? Frozen! (which by the way is WAY better than the original theme she wanted-Barbie)

The problem? Frozen is so popular right now that you can't find anything in the stores for it. In fact, when I went to Party City to buy her invitations, the girl told me it was my lucky day-they just got them in that morning and she said they would be gone within hours. Yep, that's how this stuff is selling. So...it made buying decorations and supplies really hard. I ended up getting most stuff online (at Party City) and just ordered everything for both parties at once, without any type of head count. And yes, I ended up with extras, but I'll use them for something I guess. I couldn't find decorations at all though-everything Frozen or winter themed on Party City was sold out for weeks so I was stumped as to how to decorate for the party.

Gabe ended up buying the girls a Frozen posted at Michael's a few weeks back and I didn't hang them up just in case. They ended up being part of our decorations. I also found some balloons at Party City when I was there and bought them.  Add in some snowflakes, and boom-Frozen decor!


Cool snowflakes found here

I thought my favors turned out really cute. I hate getting "junk" for favors-ya know the stuff that goes in the garbage when you walk in the door? It's a waste of money and a waste of space-my kids won't let me throw them out, yet they don't use them either. I prefer something useful or something edible. Always goes over well. So, we did snowmen in a bag!
What's inside?  Three large marshmallows, pretzel sticks (for arms), chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips and an orange candy coated sunflower seed (I scoured bulk food for anything tiny and orange). On the back of the snowman paper I wrote to assemble them with frosting or stir them into cocoa.

Here are the girls ready to party!
I also made up some cute signs for some Frozen food....






This thing leaked so we ended up with a pitcher-bummed because it looks so nice!
Family photo before the chaos:
We ended up with a gorgeous day! Sunny and upper 70s so the bounce house came out and got used!

Little Sabrina wearing Avery's old dress!
We did a cookout for lunch-hamburgers, hotdogs, pasta salad, green salad, baked beans and my fruit rainbow (always a big hit by the way).
After we ate, some kids started on one of our activities-make your own Olaf. Gabe found this online somewhere so I don't have the link to it!
Carly, Avery, Noah making their Olafs

Bianca

Then Avery opened up her presents....
And it was time for cake! Here's my latest creation-vanilla cake with chocolate pudding filling and homemade buttercream! Avery's request!

Sweets table:

Blowing out the candles:

Carly, Avery, Bianca
After cake, we did a Frozen themed scavenger hunt. Again, Gabe found this online and it was super cute. Every clue was a song lyric with a missing word. That word took you to your next clue. Some were super easy, some were more challenging, but the kids thought it was cool! Their prize was the favors I made.
Scavenger hunt
After that, people just hung out and enjoyed the day. We started at noon and most people stayed until about 4-5ish. Some family stayed later until about 6:30 or so.
Todd and Leigha

It was a super busy day but lots of fun too! Thank you all who made it special!

No comments: