Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Granola Bars

Seriously, can you tell that I'm in a mood to try new recipes lately? I haven't posted this many in a long, LONG time!  I'm just in a kick of trying new things out for some reason and I don't know what's fueling this fire! It probably won't last long, but for now I'm enjoying some new stuff around here!

You can find the original recipe for these here! I didn't change anything from it!

Granola Bars/Bites
2 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup rice crispies
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup choc chips

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Line baking dish with foil and spray foil with non-stick spray.
3. In a bowl, mix all ingredients except chocolate chips until wet/crumbly.
4. Fold in chocolate chips.
5. Pour mixture into pan and press into pan
6. Bake for 17-22min
7. Cool overnight (loosely covered) and cut into bars/bites

(Notes: I didn't have rice crispies so I used cheerios instead! I used a 9x13" pan and baked mine for 18mins...they came out crunchy! I prefer chewy granola so next time I'll either bake them less, or use a square pan instead. I also didn't let them sit out overnight so I don't know if that would have made them chewier. I let them sit maybe 2 hours before I cut them and they were pretty hard to cut, but honestly I think they were just overdone.)

Even though these came out crunchy, they were still very tasty! I'm not a huge honey fan so next time I might do half honey, half maple syrup to see what that is like. I think this is a recipe that you could totally play around with and make it different each time (cranberries, nuts, peanut butter, dried fruit, etc).

I'll definitely make these again and play around with it some more to see if I can get them chewy!

So sorry I haven't  been taking pics of my food lately-I tend to think of it after it's been eaten! Oops!

No comments: