Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rollerblading....

I LOVE it! I started years ago-I'm talking when it first came out. When I lived back in Buffalo I used to go pretty frequently. I even had my Mom as my sidekick for a few summers. I used to go up and down a street near my Mom's house-that is until I almost got hit by a car! Since then, I'm scared to death to go blading anywhere near traffic. So then I frequented Isleview in Tonawanda-a nice path next to the river. Crowded enough that you weren't scared of something happening but not so crowded (unless it was a weekend in the summer) that you were running over people. Its so peaceful there-nice and quiet and you can just blade and think. Well, since I moved to Rochester 4 years ago (yes it's been that long!) I haven't really gone at all. Mainly because I haven't found a place that nicely paved with little traffic. I tried going a few places, but they just didn't do it for me. So today, the hubby and I finally found a decent place. Behind my work runs a canal and we knew there was a pathway that ran along side it (hubby ran a 5K on it earlier this year). The problem? How do we get to the pathway? So tonight we parked at my work but all the paths leading to the canal were gravel-which doesn't fly with rollerblades. So we drove around a bit and finally found a paved pathway up to it! Hubby ran while I bladed and it was great! It felt so good to get on them again since it's been at least a year, if not more! We went about 45min or so-a decent workout, but the funny thing is that it doesn't feel like a work out to me. That's how this whole thing came about today-it's my normal cardio day at the gym and I HATE doing cardio! HATE IT! So since it was nice out I thought of going for a run with hubby, then he came up with the idea of finding the canal path so I could blade. And I really don't sweat like I do at the gym-not sure why because my heart rate definitely gets up there but who knows! So anyways, it was fabulous-I hope I get the chance to go again before the weather turns!

No comments: