Friday, November 6, 2009

Praline Sweet Potato Casserole

I've had this recipe for awhile, but never had the chance to make it. I found it in some magazine and thought it looked good. Tonight we had some friends over for dinner so I thought it would be a good time to try it out!

Praline Sweet Potato Casserole
1 can (40oz) sweet potatoes, drained
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs

Topping:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans, chopped (I omitted)
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. In bowl, mash sweet potatoes. Stir in granulated sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and eggs. Spoon into casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.



The verdict? These are sweet....very, very sweet. Maybe even too sweet for me, which doesn't happen very often in a recipe. I think next time, I will at least cut the brown sugar in half, maybe even more than that. There's just way too much sugar! The funny thing is that after I made them, I was going through a cookbook and found a few recipes that were very similar and they called for the same amount or MORE sugar-which is just crazy! I already think it's too much. Besides that, they tasted good so I will try them again!

No comments: