Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Coffee Crumb Cakes

I love coffee cake-especially the kind with a crumb topping...yum! I found this recipe awhile ago-not even sure where, but I never had a reason to make them. We had a playdate over the weekend with some of Avery's daycare friends so I decided to try out this recipe to take along!

Coffee Crumb Cakes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup whole milk (I used skim)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Topping:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup flour

1. Heat oven to 350. Coat muffin tins with nonstick spray and dust with flour (I used the cupcake/muffin papers instead)
2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 3mins. Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, salt and milk and beat until blended. Stir in vanilla.
3. Divide batter evenly among muffin tins (appx 1/4 cup batter each)
4. For the topping: Combine sugars, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Stir in melted butter. Add flour and rub mixture with your hands to make crumb topping. Mixture should clump together and form little balls. Sprinkle topping over batter in cups (appx 1 heaping tablespoon each).
5. Bake 15-20mins (until toothpick comes out clean) (I baked mine about 20min and I think they could have been a little less done). Cool completely on wire rack.

Tried to get a close up of the topping:

Verdict-these came out very yummy! I've eaten one almost everyday since I made them! The topping (my favorite part) is very good-although messy-it seems to not stick to the batter very well so they are a bit messy to eat. I'll definitely make them again and might try doing it as an actual cake next time.

1 comment:

Jen said...

This looks really yummy! I think I'm going to try them for Christmas morning. Thanks for sharing :)