Thursday, January 7, 2010

Frittata

So last night I had no idea what to make for dinner. We had some random leftovers in the fridge to use-steak and pasta so I knew I had to use them. I started doing some thinking and was thinking I could use eggs somehow. But I didn't want to do steak and eggs mainly because we didn't have a lot of steak, and then what would I do with the pasta? So I started some searching online for ideas and came across some frittatas that used pasta and eggs. So I thought, why not add the steak to it? So, that was my concoction! I'll list the ingredients, but I really am not sure of the measurements of our leftovers-I'm just estimating those!

Frittata
olive oil
6 eggs, beaten
steak (~6oz)
pasta (~1-2cups, ours was spaghetti with no sauce)
crumbled bacon bits
parmesan cheese
mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400. Cut steak into small pieces. Heat a small amount of oil into a frying pan and warm up steak. Add bacon crumbles near the end to warm them briefly.
2. Beat eggs in a bowl. Add pasta (cut into 2" size pieces) and mix.
3. When steak is warmed, add to the pasta/egg mixture and mix again. Pour the mixture back into the frying pan. Don't stir while it cooks-let set a few minutes and you can lift the edges to let more raw egg get to the bottom. You should let it cook roughly 8min (on med-low heat) until egg is browned and set. Sprinkle top with parmesan and mozzarella.
4. Take the entire skillet and put in the oven. Let bake about 10min or until egg is cooked through. If you like your cheese browned/crispy (like I do-yum!), you can broil it for a few minutes after.



Close up shot

Verdict: this was very yummy! I'm one for making weird concoctions with eggs, rice, etc so this was right up my alley to begin with. I wasn't sure what Gabe would think of it, but he liked it as well! Definitely will be on our list again and it's a good way to clean out the fridge!

No comments: