Sunday, March 7, 2010

Texas Caviar

We went to my in-laws for dinner one night and they had this out as an appetizer. I quickly became addicted to it-it is SO good! And somewhat healthy which is even better! I hosted a purse party at my house yesterday and needed some good appetizers, so I decided to give it a shot. I made some modifications which I noted along the way.

Texas Caviar
1 can black eyed peas
1 can black beans
1 can shoepeg corn
1 small jar pimentos
1 small jar jalapenos
red onion
celery
1 cup oil
1/2 cup vinegar (apple cider or balsamic)
1 cup sugar

1. Drain and rinse peas, beans and corn. Dump into mixing bowl. Drain pimentos and jalapenos and cut into small pieces. (NOTE-instead of pimentos, I used 1/3 jar of roasted red peppers and instead of jalapenos, I used a few dashes of hot sauce) Add to mixing bowl.

2. Cut up celery and red onion and add to mixing bowl (I used 1 large celery stalk and roughly 1/2 of an onion).

3. In saucepan, heat oil, vinegar, and sugar until sugar turns clear and dissolves. Pour over the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container overnight. Drain before serving. Best if served with Tostitos Scoops! (NOTE-instead of oil and vinegar, I used a balsamic dressing and I cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup).

(this pic is before draining it)

Do yourself a favor and make this! The batch is pretty big, so I had a lot of leftovers, but they will not go to waste that's for sure! YUM!

No comments: