Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sausage, Broccoli, and Noodles

I found this recipe yesterday while at work. I saw we had a new Family Circle magazine so I looked through it. They always have these really yummy looking desserts on the cover, but then I get disappointed when I see the recipes-they either take 8 hours to make, or have 6 sticks of butter in them (not joking!)-thanks, but no thanks! So I saw this in there and thought it would be good to try-so I ran to Wegman's today after work and made it tonight for dinner.


Sausage, Broccoli, and Noodles

3 packages (3 oz each) Ramen noodle soup, chicken flavor
1/4 cup sour cream (I used "Light")
1 tbsp. corn starch
3 links sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
3 cups frozen baby broccoli flowerets, thawed

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles for 2mins, reserving seasoning packets for later; drain and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream and corn starch, set aside.

2. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up with a spoon, for 5 minutes or until cooked through.

3. Add broccoli, 1 cup water and 1 1/2 tsp of ramen chicken seasoning (basically 1 packet) to skillet with sausage. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes or until broccoli is cooked through.

4. Remove cover and stir sour cream mixture into skillet. Cook for 1 minute or until sauce thickens. Add noodles to skillet and toss to coat with sauce. Serve immediately. Yields 4 servings.


Notes: I couldn't find sweet Italian sausage that was turkey sausage. So I used mild Italian turkey/chicken sausage and it tasted fine. The store also didn't have broccoli flowerets so I used whatever the frozen broccoli is that they sell. Mine took a little longer to cook then it said-my broccoli wasn't thawed so that took longer and I think the sausage took longer than 5mins. (I was doing several steps at the same time so I wasn't paying attention to my timing).

Overall, this meal was yummy! We did have leftovers after we both ate so the servings they say it makes was pretty true. I didn't tell Gabe it was turkey sausage until after the fact and I don't think he noticed at all. I told him after dinner and he said I tricked him :) This meal's a keeper, that's for sure!

No comments: