Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tortilla Soup with Black Beans

I hardly ever make homemade soups-there are always a billion ingredients, half of which I don't have in the house...so I just never make them. I saw this recipe and it looked very easy so I decided to give it a try.

Tortilla Soup with Black Beans
(Source: On My Mind, Adapted from Everyday Food Magazine)

Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup water
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Mexican cheese, for sprinkling on top
- Dried or fresh cilantro, also for topping (I didn't use this)

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), tomato sauce, beans, broth, corn, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.

2. Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges (we didn't use the lime wedges) and, if desired, more chips. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro.




Overall this soup was very tasty-it has a kick to it with the amount of chili powder listed. I probably wouldn't add anymore just because I don't like things super spicy. Next time I might add in some rice or chicken just to try it-it seems like it would be really good that way. Definitely a keeper!

No comments: