Monday, October 18, 2010

Carmelized Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I found this recipe as I was surfing around online. To be honest, I can't remember where I found it. And I don't even remember the exact recipe, so I just threw this together...and I didn't measure so I'm guesstimating here!

I will confess...I've never tried the whole apple with cheese thing. I know it's popular to have apple pie with a slice of cheese on top, but I've never tried it. For some reason it just sounds weird to me and not tasty at all!

I decided for lunch today to go out on a limb and experiment with this sandwich.

Carmelized Apple Grilled Cheese
2 slices bread
cheese (however many slices you want-I assume cheddar/gouda would be best)
1 apple-peeled, cored, sliced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1-2tbsp butter

1. In small frying pan, add 1 tbsp butter and brown sugar. Heat until butter melts. Add apple and cook until bubbly and apple is tender (about 5min)
2. Assemble sandwich and cook until browned on both sides.
Notes: I had smoked gouda in the house so that is what I used. I didn't use any special bread either-I actually used an Arnold's sandwich thin for it. And instead of buttering my bread, I used spray butter on it, which I typically do to save some calories.
Verdict-this sandwich is on the sweet side-more for a dessert or snack. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the cheese/apple combo (sorry!) so I probably wouldn't make it again because of that. If you do like it, by all means give it a try! I also didn't take any photos of it so I apologize!

No comments: