Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Homemade Stuffed Shells

Yesterday I made homemade stuffed shells. I honestly can't remember the last time I made them and it sounded like a good idea!

Stuffed Shells
1 box jumbo shell pasta
1 jar of pasta sauce
1 lb ricotta cheese (I use part-skim)
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed/chopped
parsley
1 egg
salt & pepper
shredded mozzarella

1. Cook pasta according to box. Rinse under cold water.
2. While pasta is cooking, pour a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13" pan.
3. Mix ricotta, garlic, egg, parsley, salt and pepper.
4. Holding a shell open with one hand, use a spoon to stuff shell with cheese mixture. Add stuffed shell to pan. Create a layer of stuffed shells and move onto a second layer if needed.
5. Pour the rest of the sauce over shells and spread.
6. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake at 350 for an hour or until cheese melts and browns.



Notes: For the parsley, salt and pepper, I don't measure-I just add some to the ricotta cheese. For each shell, I used a soup spoon size of cheese for each shell (maybe roughly a tablespoon?). I had some shells left unstuffed but just added them to the pan anyways. When I baked mine, my cheese didn't brown after an hour so I put in on broil for a few minutes to crisp it up a little bit.

No comments: