Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wilton Course 2, Class 4

Last night was my last Wilton class for course 2.

We had a lot to prepare for this week....we had to bake and frost a cake at home and also bring in 2 batches of buttercream frosting. Lots of time in the kitchen for this week!

There are only 2 of us in this class and the other girl didn't show up last night, so I had a private lesson! It was pretty neat!

We started out by learning the reverse shell, which was pretty easy. Then we learned how to do a basket weave. It's actually not too hard once you get the hang of it. Time consuming-yes! Hard-no!

Once we practiced those, it was time to decorate our cake. I brought in the flowers we made in previous classes for the decorating. We started out by putting the basket weave on the cake-which took quite awhile (and a LOT of frosting) to do! Then we topped the weave with the reverse shell border. After that, we added the flowers to it and put in some leaves.

Here's my final product:


Close up of the reverse shell border:



close up of the basket weave:


Overall I was pleased with my cake. Some parts of the basket weave weren't perfect, but that's ok-it was my first time doing it so I can't expect it to be perfect! I wasn't totally thrilled with the layout of my flowers either, but I only brought the big flowers we made so it was hard fitting them all on there just right.


Gabe took the cake in for his coworkers today and apparently it was a big hit!!


As of now, I'm probably not taking the next course-it's all using fondant which I really don't care about at this time...maybe in the future I'll sign up for it!







No comments: