Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember

9/11/01



A day most of us will remember forever.

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when the attacks started?

I vaguely remember.....

Let's see-I was 22 years old and it was the year I wasn't in school (I took a year hiatus between my bachelor's and masters degree). I was waitressing in evenings so my days were free. All of what I remember is that I got up to go to the gym to take an exercise class with my Mom. I got out of bed and got dressed... came downstairs and I remember my Mom saying the towers were hit. I can't remember if it was just one or both at that time-I'm thinking it was just one because I remember thinking it was a freak accident. So Mom and I went to the gym and as we were walking into class, our instructor zoomed by us in the opposite direction with her hand on her head like she was about to faint and she just said "they hit the pentagon! We're under attack!"

Needless to say that entire day we were glued to the tv. I can't remember if I worked that night or not, but I just remember watching tv for days it seemed. You just couldn't get enough of the images and the stories. And I remember being scared to death. Of course I never expressed it to anyone that I was, but I was. I just remember shows mentioning what types of places would be hit next or would be good targets. Niagara Falls was one of them because of the power plants they have. Well, Niagara Falls was only 15 min from my house. So the thought of it scared the heck out of me. And I don't know how people could get on a plane after that. To this day, I'm still a little afraid to fly. And I'm sure most of us are to some degree.

Luckily I didn't know anyone in NYC so I wasn't directly affected by the attacks. I was and still am deeply saddened for those who were. It will be a day that will never be forgotten, that's for sure. And it's a day that we all hope we will never have to face again.

What do you remember?

No comments: