Sunday, September 14, 2008

Rochester Marathon

Today was the Rochester Marathon. Usually I wouldn't care much, except for that this year, my husband ran in the half marathon (13.1 miles). He enjoys running-he runs home from work usually 1-2 times a week. Back in January he wanted to run the full marathon, but the training for it was tough to keep up with-running about 5 times a week. So he decided he'd go for the half instead. He didn't really train all that much-just he runs home from work and a few runs with friends on the weekends here and there. He did several 5K races this year and also did the Lilac 10K. This would be his longest race yet.


We were both up early-his race started at 745am! Lucky for me, the course went down the street next to ours. So around 830 and 4 miles into the race, I got to go and cheer him on right around the corner from our house! Then I made the trek to the finish line around 945 to catch him finish his first half marathon. I've gone to see him finish several races and have grown to like watching people finish...especially longer distances like this. I'm not much of a runner myself-I've done a 5K and the corporate challenge, but nothing near this length-I just don't have it in me. So it's really cool to watch people reach the finish line-there are so many emotions you see-laughing, crying, fans cheering them along-it's pretty exhilarating!! At the race today I saw several people crying, a girl getting carried, several injured people....and I also saw the female lead marathon runner finish which was pretty cool.

If you aren't in the area, it was probably one of the most difficult running days you could get-sunny, mid 80s and humidity that was unbearable. I felt so bad for the runners! And to make it worse, Gabe said the first 4 water stations were out of cups so most people didn't get to drink for the first few miles which is just awful!

Anyways, Gabe finished in just under 3 hours-I think he was a little disappointed with his time, but I think he's very happy he finished, especially in the conditions. He was pretty sore at the end-his feet and legs hurt pretty bad. He did a great job and I'm so proud of him for the accomplishment! Here are a few photos I took when I was at the finish line:
Rounding the corner to the home stretch....

Making his way to the end!Proudly showing off his medal.Congratulations Gabe!

1 comment:

Gabe Del Vecchio said...

Your husband looks like a royal dork in those pictures.