Thursday, May 21, 2009

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Rice Krispy Bars

I found this recipe a few months ago while looking through a magazine at work. I'm a peanut butter freak, so anything with peanut butter in it I have to consider making! When I first got the recipe, I had some of the ingredients, but not the exact ingredients. I decided to "wing" it and try them out....well, they could have been better. They turned out very dry (not enough marshmallows) and crumbly, but tasted ok. So, I went out and bought the exact ingredients and decided to make them last night for real this time. This time? They're a keeper! I took them to work today and everyone loved them!

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Rice Krispy Bars

16 large marshmallows
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 cups rice krispies
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
2 Heath bars (1.4 oz each) (note-I bought the heath bar pieces in the baking aisle-it was cheaper that way and I used roughly 1/3 of a cup of them)

1. Crush Heath bars into small pieces
2. In saucepan, heat marshmallows and peanut butter over low heat (Key here-LOW heat) until melted, then remove from heat.
3. Stir in rice krispies until coated
4. Add chocolate chips and heath bar-stir until mixed in
5. Pour and press into 8"x8" (or 9"x9") pan
(note-the magazine recipe says to coat your hands in oil and form them into balls. I chose the pan method instead)

The only thing I have to master here is melting the marshmallows and peanut butter. I think I let it melt too long because they were a little hard to cut when they cooled. Next time, I won't heat them as long-I think the key is to have a few pieces of marshmallow intact when you turn off the heat.


No comments: