Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Two Month Checkup

We just got home from Avery's two month doctor's appointment. She is currently 23 1/4 inches long and is in the 80th percentile for height. She weighs in at 11lbs 5.5 oz and is in the 60th percentile for weight. The doctor said she looks nice and healthy which is always good news!

Unfortunately at her appointment, she had to get her first round of shots! I was dreading it but thankfully it went a lot better than I expected. After the doctor looked at her, he sent the nurse in (the "shot experts" according to him) to do the shots. They first gave her tylenol which she sucked right down because it's sweet. Then she had an oral vaccine which she had to drink-again she sucked it down. The nurse said she thinks it's sweet as well, but hasn't tried it herself (too expensive!). She said every kid sucks it right down so it must taste good. Now if only the vitamin makers could figure that out....

Then came the shots-she had to get three of them today. One blessing was that the nurse was fast, and I mean fast! I think she had all three done before Avery let out her scream! Once the first one hit, she held her breath and got beet red (tomato faced as the nurse said). Then she let out a scream like I've never heard before! By the time she screamed, the nurse was done so I just scooped her up and held her a few minutes and she settled down pretty well. I had to put her back down to dress her which made her scream some more. She took her pacifier and calmed down very nicely. By the time I got her in her carseat and out to make her next appointment, she was fine. She fell asleep in the car on the way home and is still sleeping now. I just hope she's not cranky the rest of the day!
Here she is showing off her bandaids during a diaper change:

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

I'm so glad all went well. Miss you all!