Friday, April 8, 2011

Can't Stop Thinking...

I recorded an Oprah show from Wednesday this week. I don't watch her show much, but it was about her staff being challenged to go vegan for a week. I thought it might be interesting, so I set the TV to record it.

I started watching the show today (and finished it tonight) and I can't stop thinking about it.

What was so thought provoking you ask?

In the first half of the show, they had a reporter take a tour of a slaughterhouse. Their thought? If you choose to eat meat, you should know where it comes from. Fair enough.

Here is the clip (graphic content)

That 5 minutes of video keeps playing over and over in my head.

I don't know what it is that has totally made me obsess about it. I'm not sure if it's the killing of the animals, or the thought of all of those people working there (they said they employ 2,000 people there). I mean seriously, who chooses that for their job? Yikes...makes me wonder if they're a little bit on the nutty side.

Will this make me become a vegetarian? Doubt it (I'm too picky of an eater to do that!). But I will say that it will make me think more about where my food comes from.

I think most of us think the one pound pack of ground beef we pick up every week at the grocery store is nothing. But when they say we kill something like 10 billion animals every year....that's just crazy to me. You'd think in a society like ours that is so "advanced" that there would be better options out there than this. And to think that the slaughterhouse they toured is one of the best in the country....scares me to think of what goes on at the other ones.

Just some "food for thought" for today!

No comments: