Sunday, July 4, 2010

Nutty Chocolate Pretzel Bars

For my dessert choice for the family reunion, I decided on this recipe I've had forever! I have no idea where the recipe came from. I know my Mom had it in her recipe book and a copy of it got passed to me, but we never made them! I've been wanting to try them so I figured this was a good time! Again I forgot to take a photo of them!

Nutty Chocolate Pretzel Bars
1 can (10oz) mixed nuts-coarsely chop Brazil nuts
1 roll of refrigerated Pillsbury sugar cookie dough
1 cup toffee pieces (I used the Heath toffee bits)
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup coarsely chopped pretzels
1 oz white chocolate

1. Spray a 9x13" pan with nonstick spray. Spread out nuts evenly on bottom of pan.
2. Cut dough into 1/2" thick slices and arrange on top of nuts. With floured fingers, press into pan.
3. Top with toffee pieces and lightly press into dough.
4. Bake at 375 for 20-25 min. (until golden brown...I did mine 20min and it may have been a bit too long). Cool on wire rack for 30min.
5. In large microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth (roughly 2min or so-stop and stir every 30sec). Stir in peanut butter until smooth and then add in pretzel pieces and mix until coated.
6. Pour chocolate mixture on top of cooled bars.
7. Microwave white chocolate until smooth. Drizzle over bars. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, then cut into bars. (makes roughly 36 bars)

**I omitted the white chocolate drizzle because I didn't have any in the house and couldn't find a small amount to buy. I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate anyways.

These turned out very good-a nice combination of salty and sweet. The only bad thing was that a lot of nuts fell off the bottom when the bars were cut. Either I have to press the dough down more, or maybe chop up all of the nuts a little bit. They were very good though and I'll be making them again I'm sure!

No comments: