Friday, July 31, 2009

Blueberry Cobbler

Our neighbors went blueberry picking last weekend and brought us over a few pints of blueberries afterwards (Thanks-we loved them!). I've been eating them most of the week-adding them to my cereal or yogurt, etc. Last night Gabe finally dug into them and was raving how good they were. (And they are the hugest berries I've ever seen) He suggested that I make a blueberry cobbler. So, I began the search online-yes a royal pain! I only had one pint left and most recipes called either for pie filling or for a huge amount of berries. I gave up looking last night and tried again this morning. I found 2 recipes that were very similar so I combined the two to create my own.
(Side note-it's been FOREVER since I tried a new recipe or baked anything!!)

Blueberry Cobbler
4 tbsp butter, creamed
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2-3 cups berries (I'm sure any fruit would work-I used a pint which was a little over 2 cups)
Another 1/2 cup sugar (the others called for a full cup which I thought was way too much so I cut it down a bit)
3/4 cup hot water (one said 1 cup, one said 1/2 cup so I went halfway)

Mix together butter, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Grease or spray a baking dish (I used a 1-1/2 qt casserole dish) with nonstick spray. Pour berries into dish.

Top berries with batter and spread out evenly. Pour 1/2 cup sugar over the batter. Pour hot water on top-do not mix! (Yes it'll look bizarre-don't worry!)

Bake at 350 for an hour or until top gets browned. (one recipe said 375-I baked it at 350 for about 40min then bumped it up to 375 for the last 20min)


The verdict? The batter/cake part tasted really good-just what I was looking for. The disappointing part was that the blueberry part came out like soup! I have no idea why or how, but they were so liquidy! So you basically had a cake on top with blueberry liquid underneath. It tasted fine, but I wish it would have been a little thicker.

Anyone have any suggestions or another cobbler recipe I could try?

No comments: